From Motivation Monday at ForwarDirections! Facebook Page:
“The best means of forming a manly, virtuous and happy people will be found in the right education of youth. Without this foundation, every other means, in my opinion, must fail.”
– Letter written by George Washington, December 15, 1784
Happy February from the Team at ForwarDirections!
February is the month when we celebrate President’s Day. Have you ever wondered which U.S. Presidents attended college or never attended college? Almost every president attended one of seven colleges; can you guess which ones? In other words, if you want to become President of the U.S., you may want to attend one of those colleges! You can find links at the end of this newsletter that will provide answers to those questions.
By the way, during this primary season of selecting a new president, do you think presidential candidates should have college degrees?
Are You Registered to Vote? When you turn age 18 and are a citizen of the U.S., you are eligible to vote in elections. The next election in California will be the California primary held on June 7, 2016, followed by the General (Presidential) election held on November 8, 2016. You can register to vote online here: http://registertovote.ca.gov/ .
At ForwarDirections, we help students and their families make the all-important college and career decisions that will put the student on the path toward success.
Joining ForwarDirections provides:
- Initial consultation process to determine student interests and goals
- College or career selection based on interests and goals
- Ongoing online support via group and individual meetings
- Ongoing network for collaborating and sharing with one another
- Ongoing support and guidance through the first year of college
We guide students and their parents, based on their interests, through a series of processes. Each of these steps and processes has been researched and designed to give your student a personalized and customized experience in using the right tools to be successful at each stage of the college journey.
Our mission is to empower students to be college and/or career ready by helping them discover their passions and bring their future into focus.
Are you a SENIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL? Join our Network now:
- to interpret those ongoing emails you’re getting from those colleges to which you applied!
- to find scholarship money!
- to decide which college acceptance is the right fit for you!
- to figure out your future college plans!
- to build a support team who can be alongside you when you go to college!
Are you a SOPHOMORE OR JUNIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL? Join our Network now:
- to interpret those emails and letters you are starting to get from colleges!
- to figure out what you want to do with your life!
- to decide what college major best suits your goals!
- to identify what colleges are the right fit for you!
- to design a plan about how to pay for college!
Are you a COLLEGE STUDENT? Join our Network now:
- to figure out how to deal with the various issues that you encounter while living in community (roommates, social life, etc.)!
- to figure out a plan for next year (coursework, living arrangements, etc.)!
- to make sure you are on track for graduation from college!
- to refine your career plans!
- to figure out how to keep paying for your college expenses!
- to design a plan about how to pay for college!
Just fill out this form, and we’ll get in touch with you to get you started!
February and March – What to Do?
Plan, plan, plan what to do next. If you are a senior waiting to receive acceptance letters, check in with your high school counselor about scholarships. If you are a sophomore, junior, or senior, plan for what you want to do with your Spring and Summer Breaks. One thing you might want to do is visit college campuses (learn about visiting college campuses here on the ForwarDirections website). As you think about your summer, you may want to find a job, or you might benefit from getting a summer internship in your field of interest (learn more about finding an internship here).
Scholarship Searches: If you are looking for scholarships, start with your school counseling office. Then try using one of these scholarship aggregators: Fastweb, ScholarshipSearch, or ScholarshipMonkey.
For high school students:
For college students:
- 15 Things You Can Make with a Mug and a Microwave (Here’s a chance to invite some friends to your dorm room for snacks!)
- Career Facts You Learn After College
- 7 Questions to Consider Before Changing Your Major
- Helicopter Parents and Colleges
- UC Berkeley May Have Budget Troubles, Along with Other Public Universities
Presidents and College:
Don’t forget to “Like” our ForwarDirections Facebook page to keep up with the latest information regarding college and career, AND please “Like” and “Share” postings from our ForwarDirections Facebook page on your Facebook page!
See the past issues of our ForwarDirections newsletter on our website: