The Right Guidance for College and Career Success: Maximizing Your Educational Investment

Federal Student Aid (FSA) and #FAFSA

FAFSAandTaxInfoEvery college bound student should be filling out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This information is used for scholarships, grants and loans. The earlier you do this in January, the better – even if parents have to estimate their federal income tax.

Completing the financial aid information in 3 easy steps:


  1. 1. Apply for a Federal Student Aid ID number now!  Both students and parents need to do this (it may take up to a week to receive your ID).
  2. 2. Read about the FAFSA process here.
  3. 3. Complete the FAFSA starting on January 1, but do so in January.

Students and parents will each need to gather these documents in preparation for the FAFSA:

  • Your Social Security number
  • Your Alien Registration number (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
  • Your 2015 federal income tax returns, W-2s, and/or other records of money earned*
  • Bank statements and records of investments (if applicable)
  • Records of untaxed income (if applicable)
  • An FSA ID to sign electronically

Here are other useful links about federal financial aid:

Twitter Hashtag: #FAFSA * US Department of Education Twitter Handle: @FAFSA